- A small rectangular keyboard instrument with a soft tone, used especially in private homes from the early 15th to early 19th centuries.More example sentences
- Mozart's lifetime witnessed the coexistence of four kinds of keyboard instrument: the harpsichord, the clavichord, the fortepiano, and the organ.
- New instruments that appeared during the early Renaissance, in the second half of the 15th century, included the harpsichord, the clavichord, and the viol and violin families.
- In parallel with this I plan to visit museums where there are early keyboard instruments, either harpsichords or clavichords.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin clavichordium, from Latin clavis 'key' + chorda 'string'.
More definitions of clavichordDefinition of clavichord in:
- The US English dictionary