1British A clearing bank.
- The clearers and most merchant banks prefer to secure their advances by floating charges.
- The Big Four clearers have also come under fire from the Treasury select committee over excessive profits being made on the accounts held by Small & Medium Sized Enterprises.
- This compares to interest rates of 0.1% offered by most high street clearers on their current accounts.
2A person or thing that clears away obstructions: a chemical drain clearer
More example sentences
- Public health reformers and slum clearers in the mid-nineteenth century consciously sought to improve urban living and to protect and create key commercial spaces for further development.
- I am especially proud of the full-time staff members who have worked their way up from labor positions - who went from lot clearers to skilled technicians who can perform any task on the golf course.
- In a group of 73 mine clearers working for a single charity in seven countries, 92 traumatic injuries were sustained, 15 percent of which were fatal.
Words that rhyme with clearerAltamira, chimera, Elvira, era, hearer, Hera, hetaera, interferer, lempira, lira, lire, Madeira, Megaera, monstera, rangatira, rearer, scorzonera, sera, shearer, smearer, sneerer, steerer, Thera, Utsire, Vera
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: clear¦er
Definition of clearer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.