1(Of weather) mild: it is a very clement day
More example sentences
- The late summer weather was so clement that the women of Le Palais even took to walking the streets in their lingerie.
- And, yes, some prefer the street to the disease, the occasional violence and the lack of privacy of shelters (at least in clement weather).
- The clement weather of late has of course helped, but the signs were there of a huge improvement long before mother nature decided to give a hand.
2(Of a person or their actions) merciful.
- To be clement is to be lenient and compassionate, or, in the case of weather, perfectly heavenly.
- Hundreds of Wharfedale supporters will be heading to Harrogate tomorrow hoping their nearest rivals are in clement mood.
- Not wanting to push her luck by asking why Angela was being so clement, she thanked her mother sweetly and left to her room to finish her homework.
Definition of clement in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.