- A priest or religious leader, especially a Christian or Muslim one.More example sentences
- Based on what you just got through saying, the senior Muslim Shiite clerics have no use for this guy.
- Constantly, they are being seen with Muslim clerics and visiting mosques.
- He was a well-respected figure and considered a relatively moderate leader in a party ruled by hardline Muslim clerics.
early 17th century: from ecclesiastical Latin clericus 'clergyman', from Greek klērikos 'belonging to the Christian clergy', from klēros 'lot, heritage' (Acts 1:26).
More definitions of clericDefinition of cleric in:
- The US English dictionary