- A long, narrow beetle which can spring up with a click as a means of startling predators and escaping. Its larva is the wireworm. Also called skipjack.
More example sentences
- Family Elateridae: numerous genera
- Wireworms, the larvae of click beetles, cause damage in corn fields by feeding on seed prior to and shortly following germination.
- Similar to northern West Virginia, click beetles were major prey of bats at LUZ and 35% of beetle claws extracted from the GFSP colony guano were later identified to this family.
- Hamilton noted that E. fuscus in northern West Virginia also preyed substantially on insect pests (e.g., click beetles, Elateridae).
More definitions of click beetleDefinition of click beetle in:
- The US English dictionary