- The sound of a horse’s hoofs beating on a hard surface: the clip-clop of horseshoes ringing against the roadwayMore example sentences
- For a moment the only sound was the clip-clop of hooves on the tarmac.
- It was calm and peaceful; the only sound was the clip-clop of the horses' hooves and the chirping of the birds.
- I smiled, looking at Brandon as he clapped his hands together making a clip-clop of horse's hooves.
verb[no object, with adverbial of direction] Back to top
- Move with a clip-clop: the horses clip-clopped slowly along the streetMore example sentences
- Carriages being pulled by horses clip-clopped along the coble streets and their masters whipped them to pick up the pace.
- As the horses clip-clopped along, their riders sat relaxed, talking animatedly.
- Last night there were 15 or 20 police on horses clip-clopping down my street at 11.30 p.m., keeping children and everyone else awake.
late 19th century: imitative.
More definitions of clip-clopDefinition of clip-clop in:
- The US English dictionary