Definition of clip the wings of in English:
1Trim the feathers of (a bird) so as to disable it from flight.
- Further charges under the Summary Offences Act are also expected to be laid for ill-treatment of animals, importing animals without written permission from the chief game warden and clipping the wings of the protected birds.
- The owner had forgotten to clip the wings of the bird.
- His first day, he had to clip the wings of a flock of geese.
1.1Prevent (someone) from acting freely; check the aspirations of: he finally clipped the wings of his high-flying chief of staff
More example sentences
- No-hopers Kerry turned the league form on its head at Hollymount on Saturday by clipping the wings of league hopefuls Mayo.
- Many people see this as clipping the wings of the student movement in British Columbia, or even as a form of dividing and conquering students.
- But the move to allow the removal of sensitive data on ‘national security’ grounds, and possibly clip the wings of scientists in future, was made at a meeting of the National Academy of Sciences in the US earlier this year.
Definition of clip the wings of in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan