Definition of clip the wings of in English:
1Trim the feathers of (a bird) so as to disable it from flight.
- Further charges under the Summary Offences Act are also expected to be laid for ill-treatment of animals, importing animals without written permission from the chief game warden and clipping the wings of the protected birds.
- The owner had forgotten to clip the wings of the bird.
- His first day, he had to clip the wings of a flock of geese.
1.1Prevent (someone) from acting freely; check the aspirations of: he finally clipped the wings of his high-flying chief of staff
More example sentences
- No-hopers Kerry turned the league form on its head at Hollymount on Saturday by clipping the wings of league hopefuls Mayo.
- Many people see this as clipping the wings of the student movement in British Columbia, or even as a form of dividing and conquering students.
- But the move to allow the removal of sensitive data on ‘national security’ grounds, and possibly clip the wings of scientists in future, was made at a meeting of the National Academy of Sciences in the US earlier this year.
Definition of clip the wings of in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.