A southern African plant of the lily family, with dark green strap-like leaves and trumpet-shaped orange, red, or yellow flowers. Also called Kaffir lily.
- Genus Clivia, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae)
More example sentences
- It is planted with many varieties of Cape fynbos, cycads, huge strelitzias, beds of clivias, large arum lilies, proteas and trees such as yellowwood and cabbage.
- My clivia's leaves become spotted, discolored, turn brown and then die.
- The base of the trees are planted with clivias, cannas, wild rhubarb, agapanthus, shrimp plants.
modern Latin, from Clive, the maiden name of Charlotte, Duchess of Northumberland (1787–1866).
Definition of clivia in:
- The US English dictionary