A supposed encounter with a UFO or with aliens.
More example sentences
- The book is full of local flavour and includes stories of ghosts, witchcraft and mermaids, close encounters, poltergeists and alien big cats.
- Will there be close encounters of the alien kind?
- I live in the mid-west and have had a few occurrences of the paranormal nature in the past few years, never really experienced them before in my life and have been seeking someone to enlighten me on these close encounters.
close encounter of the first (or second etc.) kind
- Used to describe encounters involving increasing degrees of complexity and apparent exposure of the witness to aliens.More example sentences
- I'm trying my best to keep a serious face while John goes on about his close encounters of the third kind.
- A year later, after spending countless hours trying to bond with his father, he has a close encounter of the third kind.
- Many people think that this equation actually proves the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence and some even believe that a close encounter of the third kind could be just around the corner.
Definition of close encounter in:
- The US English dictionary