- 1A herbaceous plant of the daisy family with burred fruits, native to tropical America but now found all over the world.
More example sentences
- Genus Xanthium, family Compositae: two or three species
- Beach clotbur has rough, sandpapery, triangular leaves and sharp burry fruits.
- Spiny clotbur has upright growth habit, long shiny dark green leaves, cactuslike spines and seeds like cocklebur (which it is related to).
- A green stripe of broad clotbur (Xanthium strumarium, or lachid hanehalim in Hebrew), a plant that grows in habitats in which there are seasonal water pools, attested that the leaks are a routine matter here.
mid 16th century: from dialect clote 'burdock' + burr.
More definitions of clotburDefinition of clotbur in:
- The US English dictionary