A rope or wire on which washed clothes are hung to dry.
- She didn't dare fly with all the clothes lines strung across the alley, she could get stuck and hurt, then they would catch her and hurt her more.
- This resulted in a large tangled web of clothes lines crossing and re-crossing above my head on the ceiling.
- We must have looked stupid roped together with a clothes line.
(clothesline) [with object] North American informal (Chiefly in football and other sports) knock down (a runner) by placing one’s outstretched arm in their path at neck level: Ramon clotheslined Owen to the floor
More example sentences
- He then tackles his opponent's legs and Dude clotheslines him, knocking him unconscious when his head hits the ground.
- We did have a goal disallowed thanks to one of our players clotheslining their goalie.
- But Julian practically clotheslines me with his arm to stop me from moving.
Definition of clothes line in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.