(also cloven foot)
Definition of cloven hoof in English:
1The divided hoof or foot of ruminants such as cattle, sheep, goats, and deer.
- Artiodactyls are characterized by the presence of two enlarged toes forming a cloven hoof; the hoof of a goat or cow is anatomically the enlarged third and fourth toes.
- The movement restriction zones apply to all cloven hoof animals, including pigs, sheep, goats and cattle, and will remain in place pending further investigation.
- Aristotle gave a brief description of two animals, one with a cloven hoof and one with a solid hoof.
1.1A cloven hoof ascribed to a satyr, the god Pan, or to the Devil, sometimes used as a symbol or mark of the latter: figurative sometimes he shows the cloven hoof of the chanson writer
More example sentences
- At least, I initially thought it was a horse, judging from his muzzle, but he had a graceful white body with delicate cloven feet, a long sinuous tail and a single golden horn rising from his forehead.
- You could see the disappointment registering on the faces of the morbid crowd when they realised we had not grown horns on our foreheads or cloven feet.
- And to clench matters, many depictions of John actually show him with the lower torso of a satyr, cloven hooves and all!
- Example sentences
- But the ‘Devil’ revealed here is not the cloven-footed demon of medieval folklore, nor yet his murderous human servants.
- The disease can spread at an alarming rate and affects all cloven-footed animals, including cattle, sheep, goats and deer.
- Foot-and-mouth disease is a highly contagious, acute viral infection that affects cloven-footed mammals, causing small blisters and erosions in the mouth and on the feet and udders.
- Example sentences
- Foot-and-mouth disease - which strikes cloven-hoofed animals such as sheep, pigs and cows - is easily spread among afflicted animals and can also become airborne.
- The showpiece agricultural event was cancelled two years ago because of the outbreak, and continued restrictions last year led to the absence of cloven-hoofed animals.
- Restrictions last year led to the absence of cloven-hoofed animals but this time cattle, sheep and goats are all returning.
Definition of cloven hoof in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan