- Tweedy, who is one of three clowns touring with the circus, made a big impact with the 150 children at the infant school.
- Other attractions at the circus include clowns, acrobats, wire-walkers, trapeze artists, an equestrian display and jugglers.
- This was the time also when the circus clowns, saltimbanques and harlequins began to appear on his canvases, with their own smiling kinds of loneliness.
- Back then, children were expected to entertain themselves, which is how Lucky learnt to play the clown.
- And to that end, he teaches serious professionals how to play the clown.
- He had a restless, attention-seeking nature and loved to play the clown.
- If there are clowns and incompetents and criminals in your midst and you protect them, you're just as bad as they are and you command no respect at all from anyone.
- For a moment I smiled like a foolish clown, then twiddled my thumbs.
- And I think most people see them as a bunch of clowns.
- They laughed; they clowned around, they playfully argued over who would pickup the tab.
- All they saw was the fool who clowned around in class.
- At the Junior School, the children clowned around with wigs and face-paints.
Mid 16th century (in sense 2 of the noun): perhaps of Low German origin.
The earliest recorded uses of clown means ‘an unsophisticated country person’. Before long it was being applied to any rude or ill-mannered person, and by 1600 the word was also being used to refer to the character of a fool or jester in a stage play, from which the comic entertainer in a circus developed. For some reason quite a few people seem to be afraid of clowns, and a word for the condition has been coined coulrophobia. The first element was borrowed from a Greek word for a stilt-walker, clowns not being known in the classical world.
Words that rhyme with clownbrown, Browne, crown, down, downtown, drown, frown, gown, low-down, noun, renown, run-down, town, upside-down, uptown
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: clown
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.