noun (plural same or clownfishes)
A small tropical marine fish with bold vertical stripes or other bright coloration. It lives in close association with anemones and is protected from their stings by mucus. Also called anemone fish.
- Genera Amphiprion and Premnas, family Pomacentridae: several species
More example sentences
- The mystery behind the clownfish and sea anemone relationship is how the clownfish avoids being stung and killed by its host anemone.
- So, the protection of the anemone afforded by the clownfish is part of the mutual relationship.
- Among the damaged coral we saw free-swimming moray eels, octopuses, and several anemones with their resident clownfish.
Definition of clownfish in:
- The US English dictionary