A low-growing flowerless plant that resembles a large moss, having branching stems with undivided leaves.
- Class Lycopsida, division Pteridophyta: three living families, in particular Lycopodiaceae and Selaginellaceae (the lesser clubmosses)
More example sentences
- Extant vascular plants range from clubmosses and ferns and their allies (such as whisk ferns and horsetails) to complex seed plants, comprising gymnosperms and angiosperms.
- At left is a picture of the clubmoss Lycopodium obscurum showing the habit of the plant and position of the strobili, or cones.
- On the other hand, the trait ‘megaphyll’ (as opposed to ‘microphyll’) unites the fern and the flowering plant into a group, excluding the clubmoss.
Definition of clubmoss in:
- The US English dictionary