Definition of clupeoid in English:
A marine fish of a group that includes the herring family together with the anchovies and related fish.
- Order Clupeiformes or suborder Clupeoidei
- Like anchovies and herrings, they are small, primitive fish belonging to the group known as clupeoids.
- Randall reported that in the West Indies, 96% of the cero diet consists of small schooling fishes, particularly clupeoids of the genera Harengula, Jenkinsia and Opisthonema.
- It may, therefore, be useful to briefly review some of the general characteristics of clupeoids to indicate what we might expect to find in Lake Tanganyika.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the clupeoids.
- Interrelations between sensory development and habitat change in clupeoid larvae.
- At night, clupeoid shoals rose in the water column and became more dispersed.
- The five species and subspecies of Sardinops yield roughly one-fourth of the catch of all clupeoid fishes, making it one of the most productive of all clupeoid genera.
Definition of clupeoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan