- The three agrarian parties are prohibited from entering into any coalitions with leftist political powers.
- As a realist, I am skeptical about whether he can build the necessary political coalitions.
- They are forming new political coalitions in an attempt to force an end to the occupation.
- Example sentences
- Here, however, the coalitionists are waiting for an appropriate judgement by the Federal Constitutional Court.
- The ensuing election in December gave the coalitionists an overwhelming victory.
- During January and February 1784 the coalition's majority in the House of Commons shrank rapidly, and in the ensuing general election ninety-six coalitionists lost their seats.
Early 17th century (in the sense 'fusion'): from medieval Latin coalitio(n-), from the verb coalescere (see coalesce). Usage in politics dates from the late 18th century.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: co|ali¦tion
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.