- A raised border round the cockpit or hatch of a yacht or other boat to keep out water: I stepped over the coaming and down into the cockpit mooring ropes are housed in the side pockets in the coamingsMore example sentences
- I began a diary, scratched on the cockpit coaming.
- After ten minutes of motoring, during which he remembered to douse the coaming and hull with some water, he left the yawl on automatic and went below again.
- Further back, the port side of the deck is low in the silt and either the hold coamings are offset to starboard or the forward mast is offset to port.
early 17th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of coamingDefinition of coaming in:
- The US English dictionary