- 1A thin layer or covering of something: a coating of paintMore example sentences
- Paints and coatings work by creating a thin film on the surface to which they are applied.
- A common theme in the new generation of coatings is the ability to be applied in extremely thin layers.
- Black coatings on stainless steel wash off easily, leaving a dull gray appearance.
- 2 [mass noun] Material used for making coats.More example sentences
- Petersham, a very thick, waterproof woolen coating, usually dark blue, is used for men's trousers or heavy coats.