Definition of cobweb in English:
- Sure enough, there it was, nestled in a corner along with a cluster of dusty cobwebs and long deceased spiders.
- Yes, I know that archives exist, but archives are invariably dusty, filled with cobwebs and virtually uninhabited.
- The house was dusty and cobwebs lined the walls.
- He paints figures in alien grays, faces piled one on top of another, and delicate cobwebs of oil paint suggesting we don't know what.
- I strip away cobwebs of fascia obscuring the anatomical structures.
- At this time of year you have them almost to yourself, and the grey winter light somehow suits the stone cobwebs of broken arches and stranded pinnacles.
Middle English coppeweb, copweb, from obsolete coppe 'spider' + web.
An old word for a spider was a coppe or cop. This was a shortened form of the Old English attercop, for spider and literally meaning ‘poison head’, which turns up in a song sung by Bilbo Baggins in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit ( 1937). A spider's web came to be called a coppeweb or copweb, and this was later modified to cobweb.
blow (or clear) away the cobwebs
- Banish a state of lethargy; refresh oneself: a brisk walk along the towpath might blow away the cobwebsMore example sentences
- 2003 is upon us and the community is clearing away the cobwebs.
- It is still a tad cold, as evidenced by my pink cheeks but it felt good to get out there and let the fresh air clear away the cobwebs.
- However, once they came back the players had cleared away the cobwebs and went on to take the match 3-6 6-4 6-4.
- Example sentences
- With its dark rooms, cobwebbed walls and creaking floors, the former magistrate's court is not really much to look at.
- Shuddering violently, I grabbed Josh by both shoulders, and turned him around facing the cobwebbed skeleton.
- I paid scarce attention to them as the movie began in earnest, showing a cobwebbed crypt, bathed in silvery moonlight.
- Example sentences
- Does the creator of these twisted tales inhabit dank, cobwebby rooms with dusty velvet curtains and candles everywhere?
- It seems to flaunt a certain tatty extravagance, like worn plush furnishings in a cobwebby drawing room.
- They crouched in the cobwebby corner behind a pile of boxes.
Definition of cobweb in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.