Definition of coccolithophore in English:
A single-celled marine flagellate that secretes a calcareous shell, forming an important constituent of the phytoplankton.
- Order Coccolithophorida, phylum Haptophyta
- Diatoms and coccolithophores particularly are important sources of food for small aquatic predators.
- The brown algæ that produce tiny washer-shaped coccoliths are known as coccolithophores, and these also float in the upper section of the open seas.
- They're performing laboratory experiments with microscopic shell-building phytoplankton known as coccolithophores.
coccolithophorid noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Corals, some types of mollusk, and tiny planktonic organisms called foraminifers and coccolithophorids could all be affected.
- It is well known that an increase in atmospheric pCO2 slows down calcification in living coccolithophorids.
- Amongst the affected species are microscopic marine plants called coccolithophorids, which lie at the base of the marine food-chain and are part of the ‘meadows of the sea’ on which most marine life ultimately depends.
Definition of coccolithophore in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.