Definition of coccyx in English:
noun (plural coccyges ˈkɒksɪdʒiːz or coccyxes)
- The sacrum itself represents 5 fused bones, and the coccyx another vestigial 2-3 or more - the remains of the ancestral tail.
- The spinal column is composed of seven cervical vertebrae, twelve thoracic vertebrae, five lumbar vertebrae, the bony sacrum, and the coccyx.
- Many of my patients have pressure ulcers on the coccyx or sacrum.
- Example sentences
- The usual grouping formula of 7 cervical, 12 thoracic, 5 lumbar, 5 sacral, and 4 coccygeal vertebrae is found in only about 20% of individuals studied.
- The lumbosacral plexus is formed by the union of the anterior primary divisions of the lumbar, sacral, and coccygeal nerves.
- The fifth sacral and the coccygeal nerves (when present) are located within the dural cavity.
Your coccyx is the small triangular bone at the base of your spine. The name comes via Latin from Greek kokkux ‘cuckoo’, because the shape of this bone looks like a cuckoo's beak.
Words that rhyme with coccyxkinesics • Sussex
Definition of coccyx in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.