noun (plural cockabullies)NZ
- A small blunt-nosed freshwater fish related to the sleepers.
More example sentences
- Genus Gobiomorphus, family Gobiidae (or Eleotridae)
- Fish such as giant kokopu and smelt sometimes turn up in nets along with the young of other fish including eels, trout and cockabullies.
- Other fish - cockabullies and an occasional eel - are returned to the river.
- It was like looking down at a rock pool: the cockabullies squirting away from under a rock, the crabs, the minuscule life.
late 19th century: from Maori kokopu.