Definition of cockade in English:
A rosette or knot of ribbons worn in a hat as a badge of office, or as part of a livery: the cap bore the traditional cockade in silver, blue, and red
More example sentences
- Although the external decoration varied from garland to garland, similarities did exist consisting of ‘printed paper rosettes, cockades, and silk hangings’.
- Two flunkeys stood at the back of the carriage and the little cockades in their hats were fashioned according to the rank of their employer.
- They were staunch Jacobites, and even after Culloden they continued to bear arms and wear the white cockade.
- Example sentences
- A well-bred innocent, dressed in elegant sober clothes and perhaps from the provinces, falls victim to a couple of cockaded predators, preposterous in their ragged finery.
- Outside in a corridor is an old gent in a white uniform and a cockaded turban who has spent 37 years in a gilded cage slowly shuddering up and down a narrow stairwell.
- This shows the troops, wearing their cockaded hats and carrying banners decorated with cockerels swarming into the Piazza del Popolo.
Mid 17th century: from French cocarde, originally in bonnet à la coquarde, from the feminine of obsolete coquard 'saucy'.
Words that rhyme with cockadeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, stock-in-trade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
Definition of cockade in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.