Definition of cockshy in English:
noun (plural cockshies)British dated
1A target for throwing sticks or stones at as a game.
- The senator set up a number of cockshies and knocked them down again.
- ‘We will make a cockshy of you if you don't look out,’ said one; and another actually threw a stone at him.
- The gypsies hold a kind of informal fair on the village green with cockshies, swings, and all the clumsy games that extract money from clumsy hands.
1.2An object of ridicule or criticism.
- By way of providing a cockshy for the first meeting of the strategic planning group, the vision sketched out below has been prepared.
- He has written, in his own words, a ‘cockshy’ of a book, cockshy being an old British word with the meaning here of writing ‘something to shoot at.’
From the original use of a replica of a cockerel as a target.
Definition of cockshy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan