1A tall palm tree native to the Seychelles. Also called double coconut.
- Lodoicea maldivica, family Palmae
More example sentences
- The so-called coco de mer, or ‘double coconut’, is not a true coconut, and is described separately.
- As we weave among almond trees and coco de mers, our driver tells us that some guests never leave their cottages.
- The huge seed of the coco de mer is unique to the Seychelles islands in the western Indian Ocean.
early 19th century: from French coco-de-mer, literally 'coco from the sea' (because the tree was first known from nuts found floating in the sea).
Definition of coco de mer in:
- The US English dictionary