Definition of cocoa in English:
1A powder made from roasted and ground cacao seeds.
- To make the pastry, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and icing sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and salt and stir into chocolate mixture until well blended.
1.1A hot drink made from cocoa powder mixed with milk or water.
- Sophia bought two hot cocoas from the school cafeteria and the two of them drank them vigorously.
- I swore off ever drinking alcohol, and I prefer drinking tea and cocoa to drinking coffee.
- He stood at a nearby table, selling coffee, tea, cocoa and chocolate bars for a church fund-raiser.
early 18th century (denoting cacao seed): alteration of cacao.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan