- In Nest 1, the oldest cells held mature larvae ready to spin cocoons and medium-sized larvae.
- Moths such as the luna and polyphemus spend the winter months as pupae in leaf-wrapped cocoons.
- I saw a spider's web and an insect larva beginning to spin a cocoon.
- I wanted my children to have security and a cocoon of love.
- She woke to a blissfully comfortable state, smothered in a cocoon of feathery soft blankets.
- He snapped it shut, closing me in a cocoon of darkness.
- ‘It is difficult starting up any new business, particularly if you have been cocooned in a comfortable corporate lifestyle,’ he said.
- We keep a look out for friends' boats and chat to lock-keepers but for most of the time we're cocooned in our comfortable, private world.
- She allowed herself to be cocooned in the warm swaddling cloth of his borrowed shirt, feeling, for once, safe and warm and almost invincible.
- The parties went on and when not socializing he cocooned more and more with his family.
- Instead of leading the country to an exciting new reality, they cocoon in a scary, paranoid, regressive reality.
- Trendwatchers say people are cocooning and spending more time at home, perhaps because of current events.
- Example sentences
- We send it to interested cocooners who wish to be informed about new products available on the web.
- We have became cocooners and have put a lot of emphasis on our homes in the past few years.
- With the latest death count from the earthquake/tsunami passing 52,000, even a normally ethnocentric cocooner like me can't help but be moved to action.
Late 17th century: from French cocon, from medieval Provençal coucoun 'eggshell, cocoon', diminutive of coca 'shell'. The verb dates from the mid 19th century.
Words that rhyme with cocoonafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: co¦coon
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.