Definition of code-switching in English:
noun[mass noun] Linguistics
The practice of alternating between two or more languages or varieties of language in conversation: the conversational code-switching of the German-American bilingual community
More example sentences
- Another interesting trend in the interviews was that several children naturally used code-switching (Korean to English or vice versa) during the picture book reading interactions with their mothers.
- Widespread code-switching often indicates greater or less shift towards the more dominant of the two languages.
- Because of code-switching, it seems unlikely that a colloquial variety of English alone will develop.
- Example sentences
- Before reaching full proficiency in L2, English-speaking teachers would have to code-switch between English and L2 in the classroom.
- Note that she code-switches, depending on who she's talking to.
- As demonstrated in this exchange, both the students and the teacher code-switched between Spanish and English in the ELD classes.
Definition of code-switching in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan