Definition of coeliac in English:
1 Anatomy Relating to the abdomen.
- Iron is absorbed in the proximal small intestine, where celiac manifestations are most prominent; hence, iron malabsorption is common.
- With the exception of nausea and vomiting secondary to stimulation of the celiac plexus, gastrointestinal symptoms are usually absent.
- Abdominal exploration showed that celiac lymph nodes were normal in appearance.
2 Medicine Relating to or affected by coeliac disease: a coeliac child
More example sentences
- The villi in celiac patients have collapsed and fail to absorb nutrients.
- When consumed by celiac sufferers, gluten damages the lining of the small intestine, blocking nutrient absorption and leading to vitamin deficiencies.
- The doctor comments on the high incidence of osteoporosis in coeliac patients and says that this may be a presenting feature.
nounMedicine Back to top
A person with coeliac disease.
- Staples such as bread, pasta and flour can be obtained on prescription and many coeliacs can eat a healthy and even enjoyable diet.
- The society estimates that there are possibly 16,000 coeliacs in the country.
- The market has a very good range of gluten free food (muffins, chocolate cakes and gluten free bread) which should suit all coeliacs.
Definition of coeliac in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.