A small, slender bipedal carnivorous dinosaur with long forelimbs, believed to be an evolutionary ancestor of birds.
- Infraorder Coelurosauria, suborder Theropoda, order Saurischia: many genera
More example sentences
- Recent studies have agreed that T. rex and the tyrannosaurs belong with the coelurosaurs, not with the carnosaurs as was originally believed.
- Predatory dinosaurs of the Jurassic included fearsome carnosaurs such as Allosaurus, small, fast coelurosaurs, and ceratosaurs such as Dilophosaurus.
- Around the same time the allosaurs appeared, another subgroup of the tetanurans, the coelurosaurs, also branched off.
1950s: from Greek koilos 'hollow' + oura 'tail' + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of coelurosaur in:
- The US English dictionary