Definition of coenocyte in English:
A body of algal or fungal cytoplasm containing several nuclei, enclosed in a single membrane.
- One characteristic feature of the majority of syncytia and coenocytes is that their nuclei are regularly spaced within the cytoplasm.
- The mycelia are large coenocytes with many nuclei and can therefore be heterokaryotic.
- These coenocytes are tubular multinucleated filaments with no internal partitioning into cells.
- Example sentences
- Besides the already mentioned yeast spores, a good examples of a coenocytic plant is the multinucleate algae.
- In multinucleate coenocytic green algae, very large nuclear genomes have a role in maintaining nucleus/cytoplasm ‘domains’.
- The cell content is readily released by gently squeezing the segments of the coenocytic cellular organization.
Definition of coenocyte in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia