A body of algal or fungal cytoplasm containing several nuclei, enclosed in a single membrane.
More example sentences
- One characteristic feature of the majority of syncytia and coenocytes is that their nuclei are regularly spaced within the cytoplasm.
- The mycelia are large coenocytes with many nuclei and can therefore be heterokaryotic.
- These coenocytes are tubular multinucleated filaments with no internal partitioning into cells.
- More example sentences
- Besides the already mentioned yeast spores, a good examples of a coenocytic plant is the multinucleate algae.
- In multinucleate coenocytic green algae, very large nuclear genomes have a role in maintaining nucleus/cytoplasm ‘domains’.
- The cell content is readily released by gently squeezing the segments of the coenocytic cellular organization.
Definition of coenocyte in:
- The US English dictionary