1A strongbox or small chest for holding valuables: a battered leather coffer sealed with a waxen crest
More example sentences
- Other variations might include the integration of a box base used for storage, but despite appearances, box settles are not derivations of a chest or coffer.
- They searched through the libraries and studies, the walls of houses, chests, drawers, coffers and places where money is stored.
- The use of lacquered caskets and coffers for the storage of valuables recurs in a number of paintings.
strongbox, money box, cash box, money chest, treasure chest, casket, trunk, box, safe, safety-deposit box, safe-deposit box, repository
1.1 (coffers) The funds or financial reserves of an organization: there is not enough money in the coffers to finance the reforms
More example sentences
- The idea was to finance the empty coffers of the social security system in that way.
- Very little of this cash has gone into improvements to retirement payouts for workers whose ‘deferred wages’ swelled the coffers of the pension funds.
- Two years later, more than half the cash remains in the fund's coffers.
fund, funds, reserves, resources, money, finances, wealth, cash, wherewithal, capital, assets, deep pockets, purse, kitty, pool, bank, treasury, exchequer;
North American fisc
2A decorative sunken panel in a ceiling.
- This is Penn Station's dining room as seen from below after the plaster coffers and pilasters were partially removed.
- Then the coffers were returned to the mosque row by row and fixed in place.
- The latter features a modern bar with zinc top and red strip lighting; contemporary wall uplighters in steel have been fitted to highlight the coffers in the ceiling.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- The rooms are tiny, but most have frescoed or coffered ceilings.
- The house in which he opened his eyes was magical - a library with coffered ceilings, leather-bound sets of Sand and Kipling lining the shelves.
- The gilt rosettes that once studded its coffered dome evoked the firmament.
Middle English: from Old French coffre 'chest', via Latin from Greek kophinos 'basket'.
Words that rhyme with coffercougher, Offa, offer, proffer, quaffer, scoffer
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cof¦fer
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.