Definition of cogitate in English:
verb[no object] formal
Think deeply about something; meditate or reflect: he stroked his beard and retired to cogitate
More example sentences
- Editorials and longer opinion pieces shout crudely at us, whereas a good essay should meditate, cogitate and ruminate in a solid literary style.
- I'm not exactly over the moon at being another year older but my wife is taking me away for the weekend to meditate, cogitate and recuperate in Cornwall.
- Consider and reconsider and think and ponder and ruminate and cogitate all you will - Lady Josephine - but my convictions remain the same.
think (about), contemplate, consider, give thought to, give consideration to, mull over, meditate (on), muse (on), ponder (on/over), reflect (on), deliberate (about/on), ruminate (about/on/over), dwell on, brood (on/over), agonize (over), worry (about), chew over, puzzle (over), speculate about, weigh up, revolve, turn over in one's mind, review, study, be in a brown study
informal put on one's thinking cap
archaic pore on
late 16th century: from Latin cogitat- 'considered', from the verb cogitare, from co- 'together' + agitare 'turn over, consider'.
- Example sentences
- It was a celebration of the human mind in all its cogitative glory.
- Meanwhile, another one of the band's finest recent tracks seems too bold an opening statement for this deeply cogitative collection.
- The CD is a more personal affair, deep cogitative blues mingling with the bleaker registers.
- Example sentences
- As a writer of fiction, as well as a cultural cogitator, how do you think about a world in which we are immortal?
- She is but one of many distinguished political cogitators in the entertainment industry.
- He also is a curious philosopher who dares to venture into seldom-trod territory that more cantankerous cogitators ardently avoid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia