Definition of cognizable in English:
1 formal Perceptible; clearly identifiable.
- The bank has reiterated that ‘no cognisable impact’ is anticipated in the financial markets on account of the dollar outflow.
- We do not disagree with your Honour that in those circumstances such a group may nevertheless still be a cognisable social group.
- The mere meeting of competitors to exchange information, without this producing any cognizable impact on the market, would not amount to a concerted practice.
2 Law Within the jurisdiction of a court: a cognizable claim
More example sentences
- These facts, together, add up to a cognizable malpractice claim.
- Each of these men could resort to the civil courts to enforce rights cognisable in those courts.
- In such circumstances, a claim may be cognizable under Article 3 which would fail under the Convention on Refugees.
Definition of cognizable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.