Definition of cohere in English:
1Form a unified whole: he made the series of fictions cohere into a convincing sequence
More example sentences
- To cohere, the United States must ‘identify and build a common culture that overrides all of our particularities.’
- Every seemingly insignificant, color-coded fragment of the picture's makeup coheres into a satisfying whole.
- While the sensuousness of the recording's sounds gives it an immediate visceral appeal, it's the manner by which it coheres into a compositional whole that impresses most of all.
2(Of an argument or theory) be logically consistent: this view does not cohere with their other beliefs
More example sentences
- I believe that the ultimate test of a theory of justice is that it cohere with our considered convictions of justice.
- The link between this and higher taxes in Britain, is that their interest rates would have to fall to cohere with eurozone rates and the UK Treasury suggests the impact would be inflationary.
- If a moral theory fails significantly to cohere with our moral beliefs, this undermines the theory's ability to be justified to us.
be consistent, hang together
mid 16th century: from Latin cohaerere, from co- 'together' + haerere 'to stick'.
Words that rhyme with cohereadhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia