(also coho salmon or cohoe)
noun (plural same, cohos, or cohoes)
- A deep-bodied North Pacific salmon with small black spots. Also called silver salmon.
More example sentences
- Oncorhynchus kisutch, family Salmonidae
- The Seymour hatchery raises and releases about 750,000 smolts annually, including pink, chum, coho, chinook salmon, cutthroat trout and steelhead.
- Some other common names for Oncorhynchus kisutch are coho, silver, blueback, and hook nose salmon.
- Each run of Pacific chinook, coho, sockeye, pink, and chum salmon knows how to survive in a specific spawning stream.
mid 19th century: probably from Salish.
More definitions of cohoDefinition of coho in:
- The US English dictionary