- Either of two medicinal plants native to North America:
More example sentences
- ● (also black cohosh) a plant of the buttercup family, with small white flowers (Cimicifuga racemosa, family Ranunculaceae). ● (also blue cohosh) a plant of the barberry family (Caulophyllum thalictroides, family Berberidaceae).
- Some of the herbs that are listed as ingredients include damiana, chaste tree, black cohosh and saw palmetto.
- Black cohosh should not be confused with the blue cohosh herb (also known as Caulophyllum thalictroides), which is used for different indications and has a greater potential for toxicity.
- Research on natural hormone-like phytoestrogenic compounds - isoflavones - that are found in soy, red clover, black cohosh, etc., suggests that these ‘plant hormones’ can slow bone loss.
late 18th century: from Eastern Abnaki.
More definitions of cohoshDefinition of cohosh in:
- The US English dictionary