- A perforated bowl used to strain off liquid from food after washing or cooking.More example sentences
- When the beans are ready, remove the herbs, and drain the beans into the colander, reserving their cooking liquid in the bowl beneath.
- Drain through a colander then return the cooking liquor to a clean saucepan and reduce for a further 15 minutes.
- Strain through a colander and transfer to a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
Middle English: based on Latin colare 'to strain'.
More definitions of colanderDefinition of colander in:
- The US English dictionary