- A white crystalline mineral, typically occurring as glassy prisms, consisting of hydrated calcium borate.More example sentences
- Boron never occurs as a free element, but always as a compound in minerals such as borax (sodium borate; Na 2 B 4 O 7), colemanite (calcium borate; Ca 2 B 6 O 11), and ulexite (sodium calcium borate; NaCaB 5 O 9).
- I have seen realgar inclusions in colemanite turn yellow in a few months (no oxidation possible).
- The alternative, calcium hexaborate pentahydrate, is called colemanite and is much less soluble than ulexite.
named after William T. Coleman (1824–93) + -ite1.
More definitions of colemaniteDefinition of colemanite in:
- The US English dictionary