A tropical SE Asian plant of the mint family with brightly coloured variegated leaves, popular as a houseplant.
- Genus Solenostemon (formerly Coleus), family Labiatae
More example sentences
- Late-spring-to-frost annuals include the numerous sun coleuses, cleomes, periwinkles and zinnias.
- I've had great success with basil, begonias, coleus, impatients, tomatoes, and tomatillos.
- In summer months, bright annuals such as impatiens, begonia, and coleus make attractive companion plants.
modern Latin, from Greek koleos 'sheath' (because of the way the stamens are joined together, resembling a sheath).
Definition of coleus in:
- The US English dictionary