(also colosseum /ˌkɒlə-/)
- A large theatre, cinema, or stadium: the London ColiseumMore example sentences
- The actors will also begin by standing at the bar, and the audience can move about to watch from all angles, recalling the theatre-in-the-round sightlines of a coliseum.
- With its grid-pattern streets, one of France's best preserved colosseums, an amphitheatre and underground crypts much of this town has escaped the influence of the 20th century.
- There are abandoned temples, coliseums, amphitheaters, ruins of old, ruined Greek-Roman fortresses - there are even alleyways of destroyed ancient cities.
late 19th century: from medieval Latin, alteration of Latin colosseum (see Colosseum).
More definitions of coliseumDefinition of coliseum in:
- The US English dictionary