noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- The main structural protein found in animal connective tissue, yielding gelatin when boiled.More example sentences
- Among these, collagen is the major structural protein and is the most abundant in the human body.
- The protein collagen is responsible for the tough qualities of connective tissue.
- Protein is crucial for the production of collagen and elastin, the protein fibres that keep skin supple and elastic
mid 19th century: from French collagène, from Greek kolla 'glue' + French -gène (see -gen).
More definitions of collagenDefinition of collagen in:
- The US English dictionary