Definition of collegial in English:
1 another term for collegiate (sense 1).
- He later abandoned his collegial pursuits and set out to forge a career as a full-time artist, as a means of providing for his, then unborn, child (his son is now four, and he also has a two-years-old daughter).
- Any member of our community is free to express their views on any topic, subject - of course, to our normal rules of collegial behaviour,’ he said.
- A top Harvard science professor says that the preferences given to female and minority scientists in lab-space allocation and other perks do not always make for happy collegial relations.
2Relating to or involving shared responsibility, as among a group of colleagues: judges cultivate a collegial atmosphere in instructing the jury
More example sentences
- There's such a collegial atmosphere among the contestants.
- There's a pleasant collegial atmosphere among the group, and many humorous anecdotes about the origins of the movie and the experience of filming it are batted around.
- The official doctrine is that the prime minister is simply the first among equals, and the rule of collective responsibility emphasizes the collegial character of the cabinet.
- Example sentences
- In attacking the bank's handling of the foreign exchange scandal, she cited the Warren Buffett comment that the atmosphere in a boardroom can lead to collegiality trumping independence.
- There's a camaraderie, a collegiality among former presidents and present presidents and first ladies that I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.
- ‘Those who are with the civil rights agenda must not choose collegiality over civil rights and social justice,’ says the Rev.
Definition of collegial in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan