noun (plural colliculi /-lʌɪ, -liː/)Anatomy
Any of a number of small swellings in the roof of the midbrain, involved in vision and hearing.
More example sentences
- The posterior thalamic or pulvinar nuclei project backwards over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.
- Normally it extends caudally over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.
- Each sensory input is distributed across the superior colliculus to form a neural ‘map’ in a particular layer of the nucleus.
mid 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of collis 'hill'.
- More example sentences
- However, some collicular neurons are known to exhibit ipsilateral inhibitory regions.
- Cerebellotectal pathways in the macaque: Implications for collicular generation of saccades.
- The responses of Müller cells were stronger following intraocular injections of collicular proteoglycan than as a result of the Wallerian degeneration of 80% of retinal ganglion cells.
Definition of colliculus in:
- The US English dictionary