noun (plural collies)
- A sheepdog of a breed originating in Scotland, having a long pointed nose and long thick hair.More example sentences
- By 1944, the Army accepted only five breeds: German shepherds, Belgian sheepdogs, Doberman pinschers, farm collies, and giant schnauzers.
- He has his two sheepdogs - collies Joe and Jeff - hot on his heels.
- They have six dogs in training - all pure breed collies trained for competition.
mid 17th century: perhaps from coal (the breed originally being black).
More definitions of collieDefinition of collie in:
- The US English dictionary