noun (plural collieries)chiefly British
- A coal mine and the buildings and equipment associated with it.More example sentences
- A breath of hope came in 1994 when UK Coal's predecessor RJB Mining, bought 21 collieries from British Coal, including many in this region.
- Planning permission already exists for parts of the colliery where coal has been extracted, although these permissions are due to run out this year.
- But unlike in England, where UK Coal owns 13 of the 14 remaining collieries, Scottish Coal had no way of juggling output when Longannet hit production problems.
More definitions of collieryDefinition of colliery in:
- The US English dictionary