- A syrupy solution of nitrocellulose in a mixture of alcohol and ether, used for coating things, chiefly in surgery.More example sentences
- Most of his predecessors had to rely on the wet plate process, which required traveling darkrooms in which the plates were coated with collodion, sensitized with silver nitrate, and then developed following exposure.
- The plate was first coated with collodion, a toxic and inflammable mixture that could be bought from druggists since in its simple state it was used to dress wounds.
- Frederick Scott Archer, an English sculptor, discovered that light-sensitive silver salts could be mixed with collodion, a sticky liquid that rapidly hardens and which had seen use as a field bandage for the British military.
mid 19th century: from Greek kollōdēs 'glue-like', from kolla 'glue'.
More definitions of collodionDefinition of collodion in:
- The US English dictionary