noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A congenital malformation of the eye causing defects in the lens, iris, or retina.More example sentences
- Newborns with aniridia or coloboma should have a formal eye examination.
- Depending on the extent and location of the coloboma, there may be decreased visual acuity, nystagmus, strabismus, photophobia, and a loss of visual fields.
- Complete coloboma is when all of the structures of the eye are involved; these are the choroid, the retina, the optic disk, the ciliary body, the macular and the iris.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek kolobōma 'part removed in mutilation', from kolobos 'cut short'.
More definitions of colobomaDefinition of coloboma in:
- The US English dictionary