Definition of colonel in English:
1A rank of officer in the army and in the US air force, above a lieutenant colonel and below a brigadier or brigadier general.
- Some of these officers are now lieutenant colonels and colonels in the Army Reserve.
- As a result, lieutenant colonels, colonels, and general officers must operate in a more complex task environment than during the Cold War.
- In the past year I have met midshipmen, Air Force cadets, colonels at the Army War College, officers in the Pentagon, air and naval crews at sea, reserve and retired officers, and a variety of civilian defense analysts.
1.1 informal short for lieutenant colonel.
colonelcy noun (plural colonelcies)
- Example sentences
- Loans from his elder brother, now Lord Mornington (later Marquess Wellesley), purchased a majority and lieutenant colonelcy in the 33rd Regiment in 1793.
- Despite an apology to the king for ‘unguarded expressions’ he was dismissed his post as lord-lieutenant of the West Riding and lost his colonelcy in the militia.
- Captain John C. Putnam, a clerk before the war, allegedly lobbied Governor Andrew for the colonelcy of the regiment.
Definition of colonel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan