Definition of colonel in English:
1A rank of officer in the army and in the US air force, above a lieutenant colonel and below a brigadier or brigadier general.
- Some of these officers are now lieutenant colonels and colonels in the Army Reserve.
- As a result, lieutenant colonels, colonels, and general officers must operate in a more complex task environment than during the Cold War.
- In the past year I have met midshipmen, Air Force cadets, colonels at the Army War College, officers in the Pentagon, air and naval crews at sea, reserve and retired officers, and a variety of civilian defense analysts.
1.1 informal short for lieutenant colonel.
colonelcy noun (plural colonelcies)
- Example sentences
- Loans from his elder brother, now Lord Mornington (later Marquess Wellesley), purchased a majority and lieutenant colonelcy in the 33rd Regiment in 1793.
- Despite an apology to the king for ‘unguarded expressions’ he was dismissed his post as lord-lieutenant of the West Riding and lost his colonelcy in the militia.
- Captain John C. Putnam, a clerk before the war, allegedly lobbied Governor Andrew for the colonelcy of the regiment.
Definition of colonel in:
- US English dictionary